Saturday, November 8, 2014

PERSISTENT RAINBOWS

I was walking along the bluff near my house last weekend and I suddenly spied a deep wide stub of a rainbow.  Evidently just the thick bottom of one that vanished just above the water.  It played with me for the hour I was out there.  Arching up and over the water, eventually I could see the other end of it, out along the horizon.   I was able to see it's shadow hoop as well, lying just above the original presumed light.
They always seem like miracles to me.  You too?  I do understand the science of refracted light but even with this knowledge there is something that jiggles my heart and delights me.

Whenever I see a rainbow I can't help but wonder what the native people of the earth thought and felt when they appeared.  They couldn't have know the logical, reasonableness of the phenomenon.  They could only have the heart skipping feeling I have, but without the dampening rationale.


Do you have events, places, animate beings, or symbols that have this flavor, this persistence of wonder?


Maybe today is a good day to look for one.



                                            Blessings,  Misty Wycoff, November 8, 2014





No comments: