Saturday, May 24, 2014

LONGING FOR BELONGING

The Oxford English Dictionary defines longing as a yearning desire.  Belonging  defined variously as  1) Circumstances or relations connected with a person, thing or event.  2)  Possessions or goods.  
3) One's family, tribe or relatives, and 4) The state of having properties appropriate to something.





It has been written by people wiser than I, that all human longing is desire for Spirit, spirituality, God energy, Oneness, a whole greater than ourselves..  I personally always think of spirituality as that which evokes a sense of  belonging.   By this definition it could mean, a place, a group of people, an attitude and energy, an ideology.

Our search for love is being driven by a need for a greater/deeper connection.  So how do we find it?
Answering these questions may get you closer:   Where is home?  In what places do I find myself at peace and content?  What qualities are existent in the friends and family that I cherish the most?  Are there groups of people with whom I feel a sense of belonging?



Common as it is to struggle a bit with belonging, I believe that there are threads, paths and portals into this knowledge.  If you have been particularly isolated, now is the time to start saying YES to invitations.  Ask your world, your people to invite you to things that they love, or that move or nurture them.  




It may not be a direct route, but certainly an interesting journey.  If seeking spiritual roots, keep trying new and different-to-you spiritual events.  Some will resonate more than others, follow those leads.




Also if on the search for more belonging, keep trying new activities of all kinds…sports, environments, events, books. 







The broad space of artistic expression leads to passionate places, emotional resonance and works on our ability to see things from different perspectives.






Home for me is the ocean.  Someone asked me that question a few years ago and the answer popped out of my mouth before I could even think of it.  I am always content there, peaceful, cradled somehow in both the vision, sound and sight of it.  



As for human qualities I resonate to creative, sometimes irreverent, playful, gratitudinal folks.  Specific groups might be theater people, animal lovers, people who enjoy the arts, gardeners.. grounded folks, but light energy.





Make your lists, then head out….. and don't stop until you find some… and then plant yourself for awhile in the joy of that.


blessings, Misty
Saturday May 24th, 2014
Los Osos, California








No comments: