Sunday, December 1, 2013

BREAK MY HEART. OH BREAK IT AGAIN,...


"Break my heart. Oh, break it again, so I can love more fully."

-Rumi


There is something comforting about this idea.  That the heartache we experience prepares us for a deeper connection, meaning or experience of life.  

In this season of holidays, families, weather and darkness it is good to remember that things are not what we expect or even want.  They are imperfect and messy sometimes, perhaps sad or confusing.  This is OK.  I like the image of falling down in soft snow.  Not what we expect to do.  We look silly, we get snow everywhere, but we are OK.  We can laugh about it.



There is a quote from the movie Moonstruck, with Cher and Nicolas Cage where he says:  “I’m in love with you.  I love you.  Not like they told you love is, and I didn’t know this either, but love don’t make things nice.  It ruins everything.  It breaks your heart.  It makes things a mess.  We aren’t here to make things perfect.  Snowflakes are perfect.  Stars are perfect.  Not us.   Not us.  We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts.  The only thing that is here is you and me.”





This might be a good movie to watch this season.  Nothing turns out the way people are expecting.  The fiancé asks a woman to marry her, but then cannot.  A husband cheats on his wife but she finds a way to forgive him and two people who shouldn’t love each other, do.  And the old man, walks the dogs and howls at the moon..  Sounds like a normal family to me.  Relax.  Laugh.  Break your heart, break it again, so you can love more fully.  Happy December to you.  




Today I am blessed.  Today you are blessed.  Today is a wonderful day.   Misty









No comments: