Friday, September 27, 2013

MILE MARKERS









Hiking along the Rogue River I find these lovely mile markers.  Each so lovingly carved into images of the wildlife and wild lands, animals and tree forms.












It got me thinking about how we mark our passing through the world. 



                                                    What trace do we leave behind us?









These were so lovingly crafted.  I felt as if I were actually in the presence of the artist.  I felt the chisel against the wood.  I sensed the images coming into the mind of the sculptor.  Each work took me into the space of the person who lived so deeply into his or her time.  Deeply into the process of creating from an inner drive or image.
I think the meditation is to think about the traces of us that we are leaving behind for the next few days...


Do we leave art?  Do we leave a pile of trash?  Do tend to the Anima Mundi, the Soul of the World?
And how have we done that?  Honoring our own creative energies?  Admiring and supporting those who do this work?  Or do we tend a garden, make a loving feast for ourselves and others, sing a song, write a letter?  It is a contemplative state.  One of watching.  One of knowing that time is passing.  Our time is passing.  What have we brought into consciousness in this world, and how do we leave that behind us?




 Cue Words:  Footprints, Artistry, Meditating on the passage of time, Beauty


No comments: